Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

{ Herb Roasted Chicken }




Hello, my lovelies!

I'm back from vacation with 1,000 photos (no, really) & stories to tell.

Those will wait, however, because right now, imma gonna tell you a story about a chicken.





 Looks good, huh?

Ever made an herb roasted chicken? Or have you been too... wait for it... chicken?

(c'mon, I hadda do it!)

It may look intimidating, but folks, it's so easy. SO. EASY.

Here's what you'll need:

Herb Roasted Chicken

1 whole (thawed) chicken (3-4 lbs)
1/4 cup oil (any will do: veg, canola, olive, corn)
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon chopped parsley (dried or fresh)
1/2 teaspoon chopped cilantro (dried or fresh)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
*or any mixture of herbs/spices that you prefer

onion, apple, carrots, lemon, garlic cloves, etc

Preheat oven to 350

Check your chicky for 'gifts' inside. If those are in there throw away! Ewwy.
Rinse chicken with cold water, including the cavity. Pat dry with paper towels. The drying helps makes a nice crispy skin.

Stuff your lady with an onion/lemon/apple/carrot. This is just for aromatics & helps retain the moisture of the chicken while she cooks. You WILL NOT EAT THESE. I'm sure that goes without saying, but... I'm saying it anyway. 



 I used 1/2 a lemon & 1/2 an onion in mine.


Just poke 'em in there.


Measure your oil into a small bowl. Add your spices & stir.


Pretty!

Brush onto your chicken. You won't need to use all the mix at once. You can brush on more about an hour into cook time. OR you can brush it all on at once. Doesn't matter!

I always fill my pan with onions, because, onions? I loves them. It's good to stick a few in there even if you don't like onions though. They add a nice flavor.


 Then pop into your preheated oven.


As you can see, I did two here. Just double the recipes for the rub, of course. It's very easy to do several at once. Great for a dinner party. 

Bake for approx 2 hours or until the chickens are golden.

The USDA says:
Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer.

Then.... remove chicken from oven and allow to 'rest' for 10-15 minutes. This ensures that your chicken stays moist. If you cut right into it all the good juices will escape and your chicken will be dry.
And sad. And we don't want that.

Remove the aromatics & carve away!


Yum!



 Your house will smell AH-MAZE-ING. No jokes.

As for the herbs & spices I listed above, that is just what I used when I made it this time.

I've used a mix of about anything you can think of. Fresh herbs, dried herbs. 

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme... 

Anyone?? Anyone?? Yes, that song is older than I am, but doesn't everyone know it?

This recipe is based off of one by Pastor Ryan* who sometimes appears on The Pioneer Woman's site.
I started making it as soon as I saw his recipe. It's a staple in our house now. My guys are picky eaters (grumble grumble) and they both love it!

Hope you will too.

Served with a side of homemade mashed potatoes and a veg? Nom.
Thanks, Pastor Ryan!

Tina


*if you read Ryan's recipe, he says to cook for an hour at 450*. When I tried this it spit all over my oven & smoked up my house, thus, my reduction in temp & addition in time.




1 comment:

  1. This recipe sounds so yummy! I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...