Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

{ Buckeye Bites }

If you've been around here for any length of time, you've probably heard me mention my friend Lori.

A couple Christmases ago, a girl named Megan brought these treats to Lori's for Christmas. Lori raved over them, so I asked Megan for the recipe.

Yeah, nearly 2 years later I get around to making them.

And, Lori? She. Was. Right.

They are delish.

Megan, is in her early 20s and a renaissance woman. She bakes,  she does hair and make up, she's super stylish, she crochets, and I'm quite sure she does more than I even know, not to mention she's absolutely gorgeous! All this while being a full time college student going for a teaching degree.

She didn't have a name for these guys that I know of, so, being from Ohio where all things peanut butter & chocolate are instantly called 'Buckeye' I give you :






Buckeye Bites

1 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons
 Softened Butter
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
Pretzels
Dipping Chocolate
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract (optional)


I may have mentioned this before (heaven only knows with this swiss cheese memory), but if you spray your measuring cup with cooking spray before using something sticky, it'll just fall right out.
I do this with corn syrup, shortening, etc, and with peanut butter, as shown here

Add to mixing bowl, 1 cup of peanut butter. I used smooth, but I bet crunchy would be great, you know, if you are into that kinda thing. Which, I am not.


Then add in 2 Tablespoons Softened Butter and mix together until smooth


 When smooth, add in the sugars. And me, being me, added in 1 teaspoon vanilla. This is not in Megan's recipe.

Megan used, as did I, the little square pretzels. Lori & I call these 'window pane pretzels', but I think the bag actually says 'checkers'. Whatevs. They'll always be window panes to us! I'm sure the standard mini twists will work just fine if you can't find these.

Lay pretzels out on a baking sheet/plate (something that will fit in your freezer).  



Roll peanut butter mix into teaspoon sized balls and place on a pretzel.

I'm SO consistent with size, aren't I? :-/

Then top with another pretzel to make lil sammies!


Place in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.

Now comes the chocolate!

Melt up your favorite dipping chocolate.

Here's a tip for dipping chocolates to avoid the 'puddling'. I saw The Pioneer Woman doing this with glazed donuts and thought it would work excellently for chocolates.

Chocolate will harden into the grates, however, so spray with cooking spray first!

Then prepare your rack like this


Cooking sprayed baking rack with paper towels under. 

Now, dip your little peanut butter sandwiches 1/2 way into the chocolate. Then place on foil/waxed paper to dry, or, like I did, place on the baking rack.

This allows the excess chocolate to drip through, and you don't have the excess chocolate 'halo' around your treats!

Allow to dry on counter or place in fridge to harden.

And then... try to keep your hands off of them.

Even my picky hubs loved them.

I did chocolate dipped, white chocolate dipped, and non dipped. I liked the ones without the chocolate.

I must be crazy.

These were gone in 60 seconds. Ok, it was actually 2 days, but still, they didn't last long!


How great would these be as a gift? Pack them up all fancy and send them off!

So good.

So. good.

Thanks for telling me about them Lori & thanks Megan for the recipe.

My life may never be the same.

Tina

P.S. If you haven’t already,  you can ‘like’ my Facebook page here, and follow me on twitter here, and you can follow me on instagram here.

18 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I grew up in Akron, Ohio, and we had traditional buckeyes at every holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have these. These are the treats at a party that I eat all of and then wonder why I feel sick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up right outside Cincinnati. I can't imagine a holiday without buckeyes . These look sooooo good! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great tips, I hate using sticky stuff in measuring cups, so going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look addictive! I've pinned the recipe and I'll be sharing a link to your post forward on my FB page this week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I've made something similar and these look amazing! I'll definitely be making these soon. Thanks so much for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These look yummy! I will try these!
      From another Ohio gal, stuck in GA!

      Delete
  7. These look so yummy. All the things I love all wrapped up in pretzels! Def going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could drizzle red or green chocolate over the chocolate for Christmas; orange for Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  9. What measurement of powdered sugar? It just says 1/2 powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this! I made these a few weeks ago for a party and they were a hit! I'm currently visiting again to make these today for Christmas! I posted my finished plate with a link to your blog here: http://spotofteadesigns.com/2012/12/16/chocolate-covered-peanut-butter-pretzel-bites/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting! Glad you liked them. Your plate looks gorgeous & delicious :)

      Delete
  11. Do you happen to know how many it makes? Thinking about making them for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes 3-4 dozen depending on how much you 'stuff' the pretzels. Merry Christmas!

      Delete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...