Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

{April Fool's Food}





Fair warning, this post, is gross.

If you have a weak stomach, click the little X button in the uppermost right-hand corner and close this blog toot sweet.

However, if you are a little braver, or if you have a twisted sense of humor, this post is for you.

Me? Imma little twisted, thank you very much.

Last Friday, as you know, was April Fool’s Day.

I did a little research on this “holiday”.

On explanation is this:
 
April Fool's Day, sometimes known as All Fool's Day, allegedly, began in the year 1582. Pope Gregory XIII ordered a new calendar (the Gregorian calendar) which would replace the old Julian Calendar. This calendar started the year on January 1. The Gregorian calendar celebrated New Year's Day on or around April the 1st or in Medieval times, March 25, with the Feast of Annunciation and ending the week long celebration on April 1.
 
In the same year, France also adopted the Gregorian calendar. Many people refused the new date of Jan 1 as the beginning of the year, or simply had not heard about the new calendar. They continued to celebrate April 1st as the New Year. People who were adhering to the new calendar began to make fun of those using the old one. They would send them on "Fool's Errands" or do other forms of trickery. This practice soon spread throughout Europe.

Of course, today, we simply know it as a fun day to try and trick our family and friends. 

Good times, my friends. Good times. 

My nieces were coming down to spend the evening, so I decided to pull a little prank on them. 

<insert the grossness> 

click on this only if you wish. It’s realistic. 

It’s disgusting. 

It was great fun. 

IMG_4439

There are “kitty litter cake” recipes out there, but I chose not to use squished up cake and pudding. Eww. I decided to use the basic Dirt Cake recipe, but instead of using chocolate cookies, I used Duplex and Golden Oreos. I also used Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies instead of Toostie Rolls for the kitty “treats”. 

Here’s what you’ll need to trick and disgust your family and friends:

Kitty Litter Cake
Tina @Sugar Bean Bakers' version
 
1/2 Cup butter, softened
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 3.5oz packages of instant vanilla pudding
3 1/2 cups of milk
1 (12 ounce) bowl of (thawed) frozen whipped topping (read: Cool Whip)
1 package Duplex cookies
1 package Golden Oreos (or other vanilla sandwich cookie)
1 Box Little Debbie Brownies 

Use a food processor to chop the cookies as finely as possible. Chop the duplex and the goldens separately. Sit aside. 
 
Mix butter, cream cheese, and sugar thoroughly with mixer. 
 
Mix milk, pudding, and whipped topping together. 
 
Layer in a new, clean kitty litter box. PLEASE NOTE- Kitty Litter boxes are NOT Food Grade Plastic. I recommend wrapping them in Turkey Roasting bags.
 
Layer- cream cheese layer, then pudding, then Duplex cookies (save a handful), finally, Golden Oreos. Sprinkle the handful of Duplex over this and blend until realistic looking. 
 
Then comes the fun part. Break brownies into 3 pieces each, then roll into kitty "treats". Be sure to pinch the ends. Then put on top of the cake. Be sure to cover some with the cookies. 
 
I also sprinkled a little blue sugar in the mix to make it look more like the Kitty Litter with "scent crystals". 
 
Serve w/ a new kitty litter scoop (again, I recommend using this as decoration only, since it is not Food Grade Plastic) and gross out your people!
 
I sat mine on the table and when they saw it, I yelled at the Bean, “YOU LEFT THE CAT BOX ON THE TABLE???????? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???” 

And they fell for it. How? I do not know, not that it wasn’t convincing, because it SO was, but because I’m a bit of a germ-a-phobe and would NEVER NEVER NEVER have my cat box on the table.. 

Can.you.imagine?

I get the willies just thinking about it. 

ergh. 

The Bean closed his eyes when he ate the “treat”, he said, ‘I know it’s a brownie, but… I can’t get over the way it looks!’ My oldest niece wouldn’t touch it. 

I mean, look at that face. 

IMG_4441

Classic.
Trick, Eat, be Grossed out, Tina

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Ewwwww! I get the shivers just thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd even be able to touch the little "treats" to shape them...! That said, I have to try this out one day..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it ..I sometimes use Baby Ruth bars(kind of warmed and shaped) as..well the poop..:))
    Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Thanks for the fun(gross)idea! I might add this to my April 1st menu.

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...